As someone with just OK skin, I’m always on the search for new products and methods to give me the flawless skin I knew I was destined to have. I’ve tried every low to high-end product, birth control, monthly facials…just about everything that is known to treat acne, oily skin, huge pores, hyperpigmentation, everything…nothing seems to work. I will be completely honest though, I’m not the best at sticking to a routine.
I get uninterested and fall off after I don’t see the results that I’m looking for but, I’m at a place in life where I’m ready to give my skin the attention and dedication it deserves. A few months ago, I came across a blog about a popular beauty routine known as the Korean Skincare Routine and I was hooked ever since. I know many of you are reading this like, ‘Sherice has totally lost it,’ but I assure you, I’m still sane.
Inspired by Koreans (duh!), the Korean Skincare Routine is simply a 10-step (not as exhaustive as you think) beauty regime that consists of cleansing, exfoliating, treating, hydrating, and applying SPF. Many of these steps we already incorporate into our morning and nighttime routines, so stop looking at me sideways, please.
So, to further break it down, here’s a look at each of the 10 steps.
- Makeup Remover+Oil Cleansing: The first step in the Korean beauty process is the cleanse, which utilizes an oil cleanser. The oil cleanser is used to take off all stubborn makeup, impurities and excess oil on the skin. I was taken aback by the thought of using oil to clean my face butttt, let.me.tell.you.something, it is life changing.
- Water Based Cleanser: After your oil cleanser, you follow up with a water-based cleanser, I call this, ‘the just in case’ cleanser, because there might be some dirty lurking, this step ensures that your skin is squeaky clean.
- Exfoliator: Not a step that needs to be done every single day, but still important. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells and makes it easier for your products to melt into your skin. You do want glowy dewy skin right??
- Toning: Toners help to hydrate the skin and helps to balance our skin’s PH levels. I’ve always hated using toners on my skin because it always felt like my skin was super dry and stripped but I’m sure I was using the incorrect product.
- Essence: Essences are the “holy grail” of the Korean Skincare Routine, they are toner/serum-like products that supply the skin with moisture and helps to aid in skin repair. This step I’m personally on the fence with because I have oily skin..however, I’ll try anything once!
- Treatments: Treatments consist of boosters, serums, and ampoules or super essences that tackle targetted skin care problems like oily skin, huge pores, hyperpigmentation, etc. Personally, I skipped this step because I was on a budget.
- Sheet Masks: Another non-factor step for me due to my budget. If you’ve not been sucked into the sheet mask craze, good for you! But, sheet masks are supposed to provide even more nourishment and hydration to the skin.
- Eye Cream: Self-explanatory, cream for the eye! The skin around the eye is super fragile and susceptible to dryness, therefore eye cream provides a necessary layer of moisture and helps to target various problems like puffy eyes, fine lines etc.
- Moisturizers: Skin needs moisture, it’s as simple as that. This step is all about finding the right product for your skin and applying daily, morning and night.
- Sunscreen: If there is one thing in this world that does not discriminate, it’s the sun! Sunscreen is the final step in the Korean Skincare Routine and plays a very integral role in protecting the skin from harmful UV rays.
And there you have it, the 10-steps in the Korean Skincare Routine. I know some of you may be asking if it is absolutely necessary to follow all 10 steps and the answer is no. I have not adopted all 10 steps, I currently do not incorporate Sheet Masks or Treatments, my routine is only 8 steps but it is acceptable and it works for me. I might in the near future, but the goal is to find out what works for your skin and develop a routine that you are comfortable with.
Now, the fun part, products. I got so much flack from my friends when I told them my plan to use Korean products. “Oh my God, you’re going to bleach your skin?” “But, you’re black!” ‘Are you sure about this?” Like Buju Banton once famously said, “I know the East is the best.” Listen Linda, I purchased almost $200.00 worth of products from Soko Glam, a Korean beauty website, and I have not looked back yet. Yea, I know it’s just Day 4, pipe down, but I am completely bought and sold, ok!
I am already feeling the difference in my skin as I double cleanse and I love it! Oh, and for you guys who are really worrying about bleaching/skin whitening chemicals, it’s false news. There are no brightening or whitening chemicals in the products that I use. However, the products that I have bought will help to even out/tone my complexion and treat hyperpigmentation on my skin and help me have an overall brighter complexion. I’ve used Western products my entire life that have claimed to do the same things.
I will be documenting this skincare journey for the entire month with blog updates, pictures and videos so I hope you all stick around for the results!
If you’re curious on the products that I am using, you can see a complete run-down on my Korean Beauty Routine Haul video on Youtube, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel so you can follow the journey there as well!
Have any of you tried this routine? I’d love to know your thoughts. Drop me a comment below!
Week 1 Update: http://bit.ly/2FfLe5B
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!