While I am a travel blogger, you would think that my travels are always smooth sailing, but, I’m here to tell you that is absolutely NOT the case. I’ve had my fair share of travel mistakes that could’ve been avoided by simply following a few simple travel tips.
I’ve missed multiple international flights because I didn’t double check my departure date, and I once almost ended up in the hospital because I couldn’t read the instructions on some medicine in Italy. I wouldn’t want this to happen to you, that’s why I’m sharing with you some of my favourite and most useful travel tips.
As I continue to travel and explore and learn, I will update this travel tips list, so feel free to check back from time to time.
2o Major Travel Tips You Should Not Ignore
- Always book in advance. The most basic travel tenet. If you want to save as much money as possible, follow this major rule. You can find the best deals for things like airport parking on sites like Airport Parking Market, in advance so it’s well worth doing!
- An itinerary is a must. Don’t waste valuable travel time by not planning. Always make a travel itinerary, no matter how rough, to get as much as possible out of your travel investment.
- Pay attention to booking dates. This may sound trivial but on TWO occasions, not one, but two, I booked the wrong return date. I didn’t realise it until I got to the airport and my flight had already taken off, the day before.
- Write things down, always. If you’re like me you think you’re going to remember, but you never do. Always write important things down like restaurants and places you want to visit, street names, people you want to visit, hotel addresses and other important things.
- Always check your passport/visa. Booked a trip, packed, arrived at the airport only to find out your passport is expired? Yea, it happens, don’t be that person that doesn’t have a passport or a visa to enter a country.
- Always pack extra clothing in your carry-on. I usually fail to do this because I’m lazy and have too much faith in airlines. But, you should because sometimes your luggage does not always arrive when you do. Rule of thumb is to pack at least one outfit and travel toiletries.
- Do not wait on other people to travel. If you do this, you probably will never travel. Don’t let anyone hold you back!
- Always let your bank know you’re travelling. My bank loves to SHUT my cards DOWN! Why? They don’t want to run the risk of letting a possible scammer scam. Just pick up the phone and alert them.
- Be flexible. Stuff happens, delays, cancellations, always be willing to be flexible, patient and willing to roll with the punches that are inevitable when you travel.
- Be open to new experiences. You travel to experience new cultures, food and of course experiences. You have to try new things or else, why bother travelling?
- Always bring your pet with you. Your pet is usually your best friend. Bring him/her with you, and get around it by using websites such as petfriendlyhotelchain.com to find hotels that will accommodate pets..
- Stash your cash. Never travel with all of your money or cards at one time. I love to make small stashes and hide them in different places like clothing, backpacks, hotels etc. That way if an uneventful situation like a pickpocket takes place, you’re not hanging out to dry.
- Learn basic foreign phrases. While travelling to foreign countries are amazing, the language barrier is not fun. While it’s impossible to learn a foreign language, just like that, you should at the very least learn the basics. Good morning, good night, hello, goodbye, thank you, where is (insert place). For everything else, you can use Google Translate.
- Always take a camera. How else are you going to document these awesome memories?
- Plan your outfits, always. This one is only for the ladies or anyone who likes to look fly! I do this corny thing where I colour coordinate my travel wardrobe to the destination. It looks better in pictures! But, also planning your outfits will ensure you take exactly what you need and not an outfit over. Overweight charges are not cheap!
- Leave your travel itinerary with family or friends. Safety, always. It gives your family and friends peace of mind knowing your schedule and helps in the event something happens to you.
- Always travel with the wifi. Stay connected my friends and share your travel moments! My favourite travel accessory by far is my Skyroam mobile hotspot!
- Meds, always take them with you. I once came THIS close to drinking some chloroacetic medicine that explicitly said NOT too, but I didn’t know that because the instructions were in Italian. So yeah, always take your meds.
- Stay hydrated. Travelling does a number on your body and dehydration while travelling is a common ailment. Always carry an empty bottle with you at the airport and when checked in, fill it up. Also, while out and about exploring make sure to pack a bottle of water and drink it.
- Be respectful. Always remember that you are a guest in someone else’s country. Respect local customs and traditions and keep an open mind that their world and their beliefs are not the same as yours.
What are some of your favourite travel tips? I would love to hear them, drop me a comment below!
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!